Friday, July 17, 2009

...And we wait

So, about two weeks ago, the grumpy ultrasound technician approximated that Nola was between 8 pounds 10 ounces -- and 9 pounds 10 ounces. Shortly thereafter, my mom and dad hop in the car to speed cross country to await the arrival of this large baby. My OB was dismissive of the technician's estimates, saying that there's a considerable standard deviation around those estimates, and said to "not worry" if the baby goes past due.

I laughed, thinking that there was no way that this baby will be late. I was wrong. She does have my genes in her afterall, so being late should be expected.

The due date came and went (it was Wednesday) -- and now we wait. I have no exciting pictures to upload, unless of course you would like to see some footage of me watching the "Golden Girls." My dad flew home, while my mom is still out here, spending time with Kim's kids and calling me at least once a day with concerns such as this ditty:

"Hi Kris, this is mother. I just wanted to let you know that if you feel like you've wet the bed during the night, that may not be pee, it actually may be your water breaking, so you need to get up and go to the hospital in case that happens."

Well, our hospital bags have been packed for two weeks now -- just in case I wet the bed one of these nights.

3 comments:

  1. oh man! i'm so glad you posted an update. i've been wondering if little nola had arrived yet. your update is hilarious too... the bit about nola having your genes :) and the call from your mom... too funny! i will be keeping you in my prayers and please, please keep us posted. can't wait to hear all about nola's entrance into the world. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed a lot about Nick in classes...sounds exactly like his old school days behaviour :D... best wishes to you guys (or girls since girls will become a majority in the growing akl family ) and inchallah aa salemeh

    ReplyDelete
  3. My babies were both a pound smaller than the ultrasound dr estimated. And my ultrasound doctor was the head of neonatal at Santa Monica so...it's not an exact science is what I can say for sure. At the very least you know she's a healthy size so that's great!

    ReplyDelete